The apostle Paul was the writer of this book 2 Corinthians – he was writing to the early church; he was writing to some of the very first Christians in the city of Corinth. And much of 2 Corinthians was written to respond to some false workers who were masquerading as true disciples of Christ. These false teachers were opposing Paul, and in this writing, Paul is dealing with this opposition and Paul is addressing this conflict in the early church. And so keep in mind that Paul is defending himself and his teachings as well as giving the Corinthians a lesson on how they should act if they are truly disciples of Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:11-17 Common English Bible (CEB)
John Wesley and The Holy Club’s 22 Questions
In 1729, while John Wesley was a student at Oxford, he started a club with his brother Charles. It was soon mockingly dubbed “The Holy Club” by some of his fellow collegians. The club members rigorously self-examined themselves everyday by asking the following 22 questions:
- Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
- Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
- Do I confidentially pass on to others what has been said to me in confidence?
- Can I be trusted?
- Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?
- Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
- Did the Bible live in me today?
- Do I give the Bible time to speak to me every day?
- Am I enjoying prayer?
- When did I last speak to someone else of my faith?
- Do I pray about the money I spend?
- Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
- Do I disobey God in anything?
- Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
- Am I defeated in any part of my life?
- Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
- How do I spend my spare time?
- Am I proud?
- Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
- Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
- Do I grumble or complain constantly?
- Is Christ real to me?
“Encourage one another daily . . . so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” Hebrews 3:13